Friday, July 17, 2009

Congress: Put YOUR Health Care Where Your Vote Is

Health Care reform is big news these days, and I ran across an interesting detail on the current draft version of the legislation that will be voted upon in the next couple of weeks. The legislation contains a curious exemption: Members of Congress are exempt from participation in the lauded "public option". This "public option" whereby you and I can purchase our "low-cost" health insurance directly from the United States Government is supposed to be the answer to all of our health care woes. And yet, members of Congress will never have to deal with the effects of the legislation.

Fortunately, one member of Congress, John Fleming, seems to have his head screwed on straight. He has offered a resolution giving members of Congress the same "opportunity" we have to participate in this "public option". I think this is a great resolution, and I hope it is ultimately successful.

Either way, to Congress, I have the following to say: Put your health care where your vote is! If this "public option" is good enough to force the rest of us to use it, then I expect you to lead by example and enroll in it yourself.

Please join me in demanding accountability from Congress: that they live by the laws they pass for the rest of us.

1 comment:

RightKlik said...

Great point.